Thursday, April 19, 2018

Flat Stanley's ride on the crazy train


 Today I took an overnight train from the big city of Cairo which has almost 20 million people south to Aswan which has a little less than 300,000 people.  The train is not really like the trains here.  There are areas that you can smoke it is like being in the fog.  I hated it!  Many people in Egypt smoke though, it is part of their culture but they do not drink alcohol.

This is the train station and everyone is waiting for different trains to take them somewhere.  Ours was running about an hour or so late which is pretty common here.

All Aboard!  The police officer with his back to us called ahead and told the train conductor to come in front of the other trains that were running behind.  I don't think the other people waiting were happy about that.


This is the hallway on the train.

Finally I can relax with a Coke!
I won't say much about the food.  It's like what they give you on an airplane.  Remember, EAT YOUR VEGGIES!

I had the upper bunk.  It was just right for me.
Ewwwww!  The bathroom!  Who invented rectangular toilets?  You push your foot on the bar on the bottom and a little trap door opens up in the toilet.



The view from the train of the Nile






I was so happy to get off the train and get walking!
This is how a lot of people ride on the train.  They can just hang out at the door.  Can you believe that?  I even saw little kids just standing there.  Do you think you could do that here?  Would your parents let you?


So, later on, I will share with you my visit to Aswan and a trip to Abu Simbel.  Today it was about 106 degrees out.  It really didn't feel that hot though.

No comments:

Post a Comment