Thursday, May 10, 2018

Flat Stanley's trip to Abu Simbel









I was so sleepy when I woke up so early to head down to Abu Simbel.  Thankfully, I could sleep in the van on the way down and they packed a breakfast for me when I woke up.  There wasn't much to see on the way down because we are traveling through the desert.  It would be so hot if we were stuck out there.  There are actually two temples in Abu Simbel.  One temple is for Ramses II and across the way, one is for his wife Queen Nefertari.


Look how much I have traveled around Egypt already.   Abu Simbel is the very southern city before you go into Sudan.





Abu Simbel and Lake Nassar.  It's one of the worlds largest lakes.


This is the temple for King Ramses II
                         
Queen Nefertari's temple
Gosh,  I feel so small!  Wait, I am small!

All the writing and pictures tell stories

Can you tell which one is the queen?  The thing in their hands is an ankh which is known as the key of life.

The King is big!

These are the Falcons that guard the entrance to the King's temple.

Two times a year, the sun rises just right and it shines deep inside the temple right on King Ramses II.  Many people come to witness this event that has happened for over 3,000 years.


I don't think I'd want to get lost in the desert!  I actually saw a sandstorm too.

I have to drive back to Aswan today.  Tomorrow I am taking another felucca ride but this time I get to sleep on the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment